What is the Dirt Bag Rally?

The Dirt Bag Rally was started in the summer of 2014. Actually it's an adaptation of the Dirt Bag Yacht Club which was originally started around 1988 as a way for us to go boating together. Now we're exploring and adventuring on the land. Unfortunately we are separated by a continent - one on the east coast and me on the west coast. So we try to meet somewhere's for a few days to share laughs, stories, experiences, and adventures.

The blog will post stories about trips, preparations, camping gear and items, food, and much, much more.

Friday, March 27, 2015

Preparing For An Epic Trip

Now that the epic trip is planned, it's time to set up a schedule of activities and things to do leading up to the trip. I've learned after many trouble free summers of remote boating up the Inside Passage that preparation was key to having many safe and successful trips. Sure I am motorcycling  rather than boating but proper preparation is still important. Here's a schedule that I try to adhere to.

Three to six months out from the trip.
  1. Revisit the route plan. I'll take a fresh look at the route from time to time, especially the daily mileages planned and ask, "Is this realistic?" I've found that the first two days after you leave home some serious miles can be achieved, but as the days go on there's no way to maintain those high mileage long days. Rather I plan to ride less miles and maybe plan for a day off from riding to keep it from being an endurance ride.
  2. Check out your ride. Does my motorcycle need any maintenance or fixing? Oh my the thought of being stuck on the road for repairs gives me the creeps. As a precaution I'll go through my maintenance log and review my recent maintenance activity such as tune ups, oil changes, etc. and see if I need to schedule any maintenance or repairs well prior to the trip. I'll check my tires for wear and ask, "Will they make the trip?"
  3. Adding any accessories? Such as, luggage racks, bags, highway pegs, or lights to my ride? If so now's the time for me to add them. I do this early so I can get used to riding with any modifications. Last year I added a luggage shelf that fit over the pillion seat. Glad I ordered it early because it was on back order for almost two months. Then I mounted it and went for several rides making sure it did not affect my riding. It worked out great.
  4. Start an early list of essential camping gear. Such as tent, sleeping bag, stove, cook kit, etc. I'm glad about motorcycling because the list of essentials is so much shorter and cheaper than boating. I will set up my tent, fire up the stove, and other gear to check it all out. I ask myself, "Do parts need replacing?" "Does it work as expected?", "Do I need to replace it?" I will make a list of accessory or "nice to have" things such as spare wicks, batteries, tent stakes, repair kit, etc. Then slowly stock up on these items.
  5. Start exercising for the trip. It is important to build up endurance and the muscle needed to safely and successfully do the trip. Muscles and endurance are not gained a few days before the trip. This means going to the gym and exercising muscles such as neck, back and abdominal muscles for sitting long hours on my motorcycle; arms and shoulders for riding; and calves and thighs for standing. Being fit will keep you from being so tired after a day of riding.
  6. Making the necessary reservations at popular spots. I found that at some parks like Mesa Verde National Park, tours to the ruins are limited and require tickets to attend. Get those tickets or reservations in early rather than when you arrive and find that they're full. Last year I reserved our many campsites early so when on the trip we never had to worry whether we would find a spot or not.
One to two months out from the trip.
  1. Create a packing list. Include clothes, camping gear (more detailed list), electronics (cell phone,
    camera, batteries, cables, etc.) riding gear, and tools/emergency stuff. I ask myself, "Do I need this?", "Is this absolutely essential to have?" Don't be afraid to add things or subtract things from this list. Last year I modified the list several times and believe I had all the right stuff with me. If traveling with a partner check their list too. This might save you from having to bring something.
  2. Practice riding a few long distance rides. I'll include one or two overnight trips so I can test my camping gear and practice my routine of setting up camp and tearing it down. I found out last year that my arms needed more strength. Luckily I found out early enough to go to the gym. Sure enough when the big trip came my arms weren't tired.
  3. Get all necessary paperwork in order. Such as phone numbers, registrations and licensing, permits, credit/debit cards (renewals), etc. Last year I found that my debit card had expired on my trip. It was a pain to get my new one forwarded to me. Also, this year I acquired an "America The Beautiful" annual pass for visiting the many national parks and monuments. 
  4. Check in with other friends or riders that might be joining you. Don't assume they're at the same preparation you are. Ask them, "Are they still up for the trip?" It's good to stay in touch. It had the benefit of me making some beneficial gear changes prior to the start of the trip. 
Less than one month out from the trip.

  1. Make a food/snack list and/or menu. I will be camping so I will develop a menu for the meals I will be preparing. I will bring one or more Zip Lock bags with spice ingredients. The other needed ingredients are written on the bag. Last year this turned out to be great. Instead of stopping and wondering what we were going to make, we stopped and got the ingredients and prepared many delicious suppers.
  2. Practice packing the bike and test driving it. Develop a packing plan that evenly distributes the weight and so you know where things are at. Nothing worse than trying to remember where you packed something and having to dig everything out to find it. I'm not afraid to revise my packing list to add or subtract things. When I pack my bike do I look like a vagabond junk salesman with things hanging here and there, or is my bike packed neatly, securely, streamlined, and weather proof? It is also important that weight is distributed evenly. On a trip last year I found that I had to repack everything because one side of the bike was heavier than the other. This uneven weight caused me to drift to one side of the road.
  3. Go online and check out the various state Dept. of Transportation websites for road construction. Do I need to change my route? Last year I found out that over a 100 mile road construction project in Montana was warning motorcyclists caution and if possible avoid the construction. Luckily I changed my route. Later I talked to another motorcyclist who rode through the construction and complained how tough it was and how long it took.
  4. Familiarize yourself with the trip itinerary. Commit some of it to memory. Sure the route is on the GPS but knowing what to expect each day was fun and helped us make the most of it. Last year I had my GoPro camera ready when we went through Custer State Park in South Dakota and saw the herd of buffalo.
  5. Download routes to GPS. And, test to see if they are successfully loaded before leaving.
  6. Send a printed copy to a friend or family member. It is important that family and friends know how to reach you in case of an emergency.
  7. Review your cost spreadsheet. Make sure you have the funds to do your trip and get cash to have on hand.
I've found that a properly planned and prepared trip has a great chance for success and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment