What is the Dirt Bag Rally?

The Dirt Bag Rally was started in the summer of 2014. Actually it's an adaptation of the Dirt Bag Yacht Club which was originally started around 1988 as a way for us to go boating together. Now we're exploring and adventuring on the land. Unfortunately we are separated by a continent - one on the east coast and me on the west coast. So we try to meet somewhere's for a few days to share laughs, stories, experiences, and adventures.

The blog will post stories about trips, preparations, camping gear and items, food, and much, much more.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Keeping Things Charged While On The Road

Most of today's important devices such as cellphones, tablets, cameras, radios, and more require electricity to keep their batteries charged. When you're on the road and camping that can be problematic. How to keep all those device batteries fully charged becomes a real challenge. One alternative is to stay in a motel quite often. Another alternative is to make sure you access one or more electrical outlets wherever you stop - restaurants, rest areas, grocery or retail stores. Unfortunately that can be awkward, inconvenient, and hit-and-miss. There is another viable alternative that is easy, reliable and convenient.

Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panel and Guide 10 Battery Pack
Goal Zero Nomad 7 and Guide 10 Plus
I have the following devices which require near daily charging, Android tablet, smartphone, GoPro camera, and Bluetooth helmet communication system. My solution to keep these items fully charged is a 12V DC charger that is from my motorcycle and a Goal Zero solar panel and battery pack. Goal Zero makes a variety of battery packs and solar panels for a variety of uses. Several of Goal Zero's solar kits are useful for motorcycling because of their size and weight. I use the Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel and Guide 10 Plus battery pack.

Bike and solar panel
Solar panel on bike
The solar panel when opened fits almost perfectly beneath the clear plastic top of most tank bags. The size when opened is 9" x 17". The solar panel can also be folded in half when not used. The Nomad 7 solar panel has a USB port and another 12V DC plug which fits many different devices. I typically connect the Guide 10 Plus battery pack to the Nomad 7 solar panel during the day to keep the battery pack charged. Then when at camp I will charge other devices from the battery pack as needed. I keep my cell phone and tablet charged using the bike's 12V DC during the day using a two port cigarette lighter power cord. One cord for the tablet and one for my smartphone. Both fit neatly in my tank bag while riding. I run the cords from the power port through a small zippered opening on my tank bag. I may also during a riding break connect the solar panel directly to another device to charge while I'm riding.

When I am camped for the day I place the solar panel in a
Battery pack charging helmet bluetooth device
Charging using the Guide 10 Plus
sunny spot and may charge my GoPro or other devices directly. The Guide 10 Plus battery pack has enough energy stored for at least 2 charges for my GoPro; or, a 25% boost for my tablet; or, one charge for a smartphone.  It doesn't have enough power to charge a laptop though. The Guide 10 Plus battery pack has a USB port and a micro USB port on it for charging devices. It also has a built-in LED flashlight. Typically the battery pack only takes 3 hours (full sun) to 6 hours (partial sun) from the solar panel to be fully charged. Or about 6 hours to charge it from a USB charger plugged into an electrical outlet. The Guide 10 Plus uses four special NiMH AA rechargeable batteries which Goal Zero says are good for about 500 charging cycles. I rarely take the batteries out and use them in other devices like a flashlight. Although I could if needed.

The solar panel and battery pack will be great for this summer's epic ride to Colorado and Utah because we will be riding in the desert southwest. As a result I'm not too worried about not having enough sun for the solar panel. In fact, I will probably bring along a portable hand held fan to help keep me cool. I'll use the Goal Zero system to keep the batteries charged.

Goal Zero (www.goalzero.com) makes many different solar panel and battery pack systems. From the Switch 8 to the Venture 30 including the Guide 10 Plus are light and compact enough for motorcycling. These battery packs can use the Nomad 7 solar panel. Products such as their Sherpa 50 to the Yeti 1250 are too big and bulky for motorcycling. The Venture 30 is water resistant and has enough capacity to charge a laptop. For me the limiting factor is the size of the solar panel. The Nomad 13 solar panel is the next size up from the Nomad 7 but it's much larger at 10.5" x 24" which is too big for a tank bag but could be mounted atop a pannier if desired.

MSRP for the Nomad 7 solar panel and Guide 10 Plus is $120. $170 for the Venture 30 and the Nomad 7. You can find Goal Zero products at REI and at Costco.

By using the Goal Zero solar panel and battery pack along with the bike's 12V DC system I keep all my devices fully charged while on the road. I save on buying batteries which is good for my wallet and the environment. I also use it when traveling by car, or boating, or canoeing. It's great whenever you need to power electronic when out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment