What is the Dirt Bag Rally?

The Dirt Bag Rally was started in the summer of 2014. Actually it's an adaptation of the Dirt Bag Yacht Club which was originally started around 1988 as a way for us to go boating together. Now we're exploring and adventuring on the land. Unfortunately we are separated by a continent - one on the east coast and me on the west coast. So we try to meet somewhere's for a few days to share laughs, stories, experiences, and adventures.

The blog will post stories about trips, preparations, camping gear and items, food, and much, much more.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Conditioning Yourself For A Long Motorcycle Trip

Recently I came across this quote, When you ride a motorcycle, the entire body is under stress; all the muscles are working, and the nervous system is very much activated with the proprioceptive sensors in order to keep balance and coordination.” The quote was from Dr. Vincenzo Tota, official physician of BMW Motorcycle elite racing team. Well, I'm not on any motorcycle racing team but I can identify and understand Dr. Tota's quote.

Don riding his 06 BMW R1200RT
Riding on the Beartooth Highway
A motorcycle trip is an adventure. Like any adventure you've got to be in shape for it both physically and mentally or it won't be so fun. In fact, it could be dangerous. It takes a lot of focus to ride a bike safely, so doing it for hours can be exhausting.” (Wes Siler from RideApart motorcycling website) Motorcycling is not like driving a car. Rather it requires much more concentration, effort and protection. Concentration in watching out for other vehicles - you've got to be alert. Concentration in the driving the bike - leaning on corners, acceleration and braking and watching out for hazards (oil, gravel, potholes, debris, etc.). Effort in gripping the handlebars, maintaining balance, staying alert, and sitting for long periods with little movement. And finally, protection. Since your are out in the weather you've got to protect yourself from heat, cold, wind, bugs, rocks, and heaven forbid a crash. All of these things are mitigated by how physically fit you are.

For motorcycling you want a strong core particularly your neck, shoulders, back and abdomen. Doing core strengthening exercises two or three times a week at least three or four months prior to a trip will make a world of difference. Muscle fatigue will affect your concentration and how well you are protected. It's been medically proven that lifting weights and cardiovascular fitness improves mental acuity and concentration. Professional athletes recognize being in shape will keep you sharp and help prevent injury. Motorcycling is no different.

I am no fitness trainer or expert. My motorcycle fitness training program works for me. For others I recommend discussing a training program with a trainer or doctor first. My program is a combination of weight training at a gym using weight machines and walking. I alternate each day with going to the gym or walking. My gym routine uses 14 different weight machines or routines and takes about an hour. I work on core muscles, shoulders and arms - particularly triceps, and legs - quads and gluts. When I use the various weight machines I work each repetition slowly and work to fail on the 7th through 9th repetition - it's called the "super slow method." It's exhausting but it works - at least for me. At the end of my workout I am tired and by doing it slow get a cardiovascular workout too. For more information on the "super slow method" of weight training check out this link: http://www.webmd.com/men/features/want-more-strength-slow-down.

In addition to the weight training, I do a series of "do it at home" exercises that help strengthen my core.muscles. Check out the excellent Mayo Clinic slideshow at:  http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/multimedia/core-strength/sls-20076575. Some of these core building exercises are just as or even more challenging than working out at the gym.

Besides weight training at the gym I also do various stretches and balance exercises like lunges and standing on the Bosu Ball for at least 5 minutes or more. This helps build balance which is so important in motorcycling. The Mayo Clinic also has an excellent slide show on building balance (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/multimedia/balance-exercises/sls-20076853).

When I'm not doing weights or at the gym, I walk. I try to walk between 12-20 miles per week. I walk on varied terrain (gravel and rocky trails and hills) to work on balance and endurance. While walking I work hard to maintain a proper posture to build muscle for my abdomen, back and neck. I vary my walking speed so as not to tire out but get a good distance in and a cardiovascular workout. Walking also helps on building concentration and learning how to relax while doing something. While walking I often think about my packing lists or other things about the upcoming trip. Walking is a great escape from stress.

Being in shape for a trip is important whether for motorcycling, backpacking, or any trip. By being physically fit you will be mentally fit and enjoy the adventure all the more. It's April and not too late to start training for your summer adventures.
Riding the beautiful Beartooth Highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment